60 Second Video Profile
My primary career objective is to deliver genuine customer value by nurturing IT professionals to embrace the journey from ideation to working software.
I have implemented integration systems on cloud platforms worth between US$850,000 to US$4.3M for mobile customers, inventory, e-commerce and healthcare markets across the planet.
July 2021 to present
Principal Software Engineer, Engineering, Unleashed Software, New Zealand
- Established and continuously improved team performance
- Optimized software engineering practices & architecture
- Developed product pipelines for enterprise resource planning core functions & partners
August 2020 to June 2021 (11 months)
Principal Engineer, Digital Operations, 2degrees NZ Ltd, New Zealand
Technologies used: JIRA, Bitbucket, Jenkins, AWS, Azure, PHP, XML, Ansible, Splunk
- Provided technical leadership over solution design and implementation
- Enabled service assurance over IT operational launches and BAU
- Defined and drove DevOps processes, tools and culture
September 2018 to July 2020 (1 year 10 months)
Application Services DevOps Manager, Technology Operations, 2degrees NZ Ltd, New Zealand
- Led effective operations of IT applications and microservices, particularly the Drupal digital experience platform and Digital API platform respectively. Ensured development of and high adherence to operational key areas such as capacity, availability, maintenance, monitoring, security, automation and optimization. Covered end-to-end application lifecycles from business conception to end-of-life, providing continuously-improving measures to achieve both agile and reliable application services.
- Drove the devops capability from IT and Technology Ops departments with a core team of five devops specialists and led the Cloud Centre of Excellence to enact SaaS governance and operations, particularly leveraging on Amazon Web Services and Azure Compute, Network & Content Delivery and Developer products. Rapid, sustainable and resilient pipelines from development to operations are continuously measured and refined to stay ahead of the business and customer curves. Go-to-market timelines have been optimized from months to weeks.
- Supported devops and application services teams in ensuring comprehensive and robust delivery of digital and middleware solutions using mobile components such as IN, PCRF, SMSC, MMSC, IVR, Mediation, Charging, API Gateway and Drupal. Guided the team to maintain and improve on implementation estimations, continuous integration and deployment, and zero-defect delivery.
April 2014 to May 2018 (4 years 1 month)
Development Team Lead, Orion Health, New Zealand
Technologies used: JIRA, Confluence, Bamboo, Stash, Java, Puppet, AWS, OpenAPI, SQL, Grafana
- Designed and implemented the FHIR (Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources) DSTU-2 Patient (1.0 Final) and Procedure resource APIs with a tactical team of five to enable third-party developers and systems vendors consume the Orion Health Platform medical procedure objects and their patient demographics captured within.
- Automated the configuration and deployment of the high-availability proxy server and baseline server security hardening on the Orion flagship solutions that are delivered on the various system environments hosted on Amazon Web Services, reducing deployment time from 4 person-weeks to 16 person-hours.
- Coached development team of six to implement the Integrating the Healthcare Enterprise Technical Framework IT Infrastructure Profiles XDS (Cross-Enterprise Document Sharing) and XUA (Cross-Enterprise User Assertion) for US healthcare enterprises, making Orion Health among the first to enable federated, secure and accountable sharing of patient health records.
- Managed development team of four experts to develop and support (third level) NwHIN web services and OSGI application for inter-health enterprise and US Social Security Administration patient document sharing, resulting in increased healthcare turnaround and additional revenue.
- Managed development team of eight with deployment operations engineers to deliver business processes within the Orion Health Platform to support patient privacy and consent, clinical user access control, HL7 clinical and administrative data processing, C32, CCD and C-CDA document exchange, and demographics and clinical terminology integration with NextGate Enterprise Master Person Index and CareCom HealthTerm systems respectively.
September 2010 to October 2013 (3 years 1 month)
Account Manager, Innovez One Sdn Bhd, Malaysia
Technologies used: SugarCRM
- Product sales & customer relationship management targeting the higher education industry including universities and colleges in South East Asia region
- Business development over clients in Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam
- Account management for Scientia Enterprise Resource Scheduling and Timetabling and Talisma Constituent Relationship Management solutions from the United Kingdom and India
- Project management delivering RM2 million revenue, covering technologies in resource management & scheduling, mobile interaction, campus and constituent relationship management systems
April 2009 to September 2010 (1 year 6 months)
IT Specialist, International Business Machines Sdn Bhd, Malaysia
Technologies used: Java, USSD, SOA, SMPP, XML, SQL
- Managed project development life-cycle up to production rollout of the USSD gateway platform for enterprise customers. Project timeline was 6 months with a RM2.5 million budget, and involved delivery teams from messaging gateway, enterprise data warehouse, mediation and billing systems - a total of 12 people.
- Managed production implementation and service levels of a WebSphere enterprise service bus platform called DataPower supporting cross-platform web services.
- Performed business analyst role to gather user requirements, review vendor contracts, and perform follow-ups with implementation team to plan the development and delivery of a USSD gateway platform for enterprise customers.
- Managed two rounds of project development life-cycles for major change requests on existing SMS content delivery platform from business requirements capturing to implementation rollout
June 2006 to March 2009 (2 years 10 months)
Senior Software Engineer, Maxis Communications Berhad, Malaysia
Technologies used: SOAP, XML, SMPP, ESB, Unix scripts, SQL
- Managed project planning and management of deliverables for two mobile data applications over an accumulated period of 18 months, including a SMS content subscriptions application and a data charging gateway.
- Managed technical implementation and rollout of various SMS-based applications including subscription news, structured surveys and time-based contests.
- Performed system integration and migration from implementation to production stage of mobile content (WAP push/pull, MMS, video, audio, games) delivery system.
- Analyzed user requirements, implementation methods, test cases, and defect management of mobile content delivery system.
- Performed system integration and migration from implementation to production stage of value added service SMS content (e-commerce, news, voting, infotainment) brokering system.
- Analyzed system requirements on enterprise relational database management systems for resource and license consolidation purposes.
- Managed implementation and operations of mobile applications charging gateway.
- Performed application and data migration of a multi-tier application server to scale performance and capacity over redundant hardware infrastructure, resulting in triple increase of throughput to 60 transactions per second.
- Assisted in capacity control and planning of inter-application transactions using SOAP over http within data center network.
February 2005 to May 2006 (1 year 4 months)
Senior Software Engineer, IRIS Corporation Berhad, Malaysia
May 2000 to January 2005 (4 years 9 months)
Senior Analyst, novaHEALTH Pte Ltd, novaSPRINT Systems Pte Ltd, Singapore
February 1997 to December 1998
Degree in Bachelor of Science, Computer Science; Curtin University of Technology, Western Australia
June 1993 to July 1996
Diploma in Electronics and Computer Engineering; Ngee Ann Polytechnic, Singapore
Professional Qualifications and Memberships
English, Chinese Mandarin, Chinese Cantonese, Bahasa Malaysia / Malay at various speaking, writing and reading levels
Interests and Hobbies
Low-level computing, financial literacy, travel, life-form welfare and environment conservation